Monday, April 13, 2009

Wir Sind Helden - Nur Ein Wort

Back to more upbeat, popish music. Well, okay, technically they're alternative rock, but they're very popular in Germany. The great thing about this music video if you're learning German is that they have a large percentage of the lyrics in the video, which makes it really easy to follow along.





Lyrics Translation:

I see that you think
I think that you feel
I feel that you want
But I don’t hear you, I

Have borrowed a dictionnary
Have shouted A to Z into your ear
I’m piling up a thousand cloudy words
That tug at your sleeve

And where you want to go
I’m clinging to your legs

[direct translation: “If you have to be fallen on your mouth why not on mine”, doesn’t make sense in English but I really can’t translate it because it is a proverb and it also isn’t logical in German! Figuratively it means s.th. like: If you never talk why not talk to me or maybe even kiss me.]

Oh please give me just an Oh
Please give me just an Oh
Please give me just an Oh
Please give me just a
Please give me just one word

It is crazy how you remain silent
How you bend your handsome head
And in doing so give the whole loud world and me
The cold shoulder

Your silence is your tent
You put it in the middle of the world
Tighten the laces and marvel
Dumb when
A girl stumbles over them at night

At your feet I’m talking
myself into trouble
I want to produce big waves
In your deep water

[proverb: “Stille Wasser sind tief” = Still water runs deep, means that silent/inconspicous people have a lot to say/offer more than you’d thought, so if she wants to produce waves in his waters it means they’re not silent any more so he will either talk or it turns out that he really has got nothing to say]

Oh please give me just an Oh

In my blood the endorphines
Are forming bubbles
When behind your silent
Eyes of a hare the thoughts are racing

Translation slightly modified from: http://earthlingsoft.net/ssp/blog/2005/07/wir_sind_helden_in_english#5901

Recommendations: Juli, Silbermond, MIA.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the translation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. appreciate this translation, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the translation! My German has gotten very rusty, so it was making Zero sense to me.

    ReplyDelete